(Telegraph) Patient gets drunk on sanitiser in Australian hospital
A man who drank six bottles of alcohol-based hand sanitiser while being treated in an Australian hospital for alcoholism has sparked calls for the antibacterial gels to be better secured.
Doctors said in a letter published on Sunday in the Medical Journal of Australia that they were stunned to discover the man had downed six 375-millilitre (12.7-ounce) bottles of hand sanitiser, giving him a blood-alcohol concentration of 0.271 per cent. That’s more than five times higher than the 0.05 per cent legal limit for driving in Australia.
Also see Can a 3 Year Old be an Alcoholic?, Why Do Ordinarily Peaceful People Become Violent and Aggressive While Drunk?, Who is More Likely to Become Alcoholic? and Men Crave Alcohol… and Women Become Depressed